Many people have no home insurance, which means they are not covered for natural disasters such as flooding and strong winds which have a detrimental impact on homes and businesses. Without the proper cover, natural events can result in massive costs to repair your home, leave you living out of a suitcase for months, and shut down local businesses.
22% of households do not have any home contents insurance and BIBA encourages all home-owners and businesses to check with their brokers to ensure that they are properly covered with building and contents insurance, ensuring they have adequate levels of sums insured.
Each year millions of people are potentially at risk from the consequences of flooding and other natural events, and many claims are made due to swelling rivers and heavy winds. There is nothing any of us can do about the forces of nature but we can all act to reduce the potential damage.
BIBA’s Top Tips to ensure you are not left with an unpaid claim:
- Check that you have a competitive excess and that you can afford to pay it in the event of a claim.
- Check to see if there are any exclusions on the policy regarding weather damage. e.g garden items
- Check that your insurance is still current and paid up to date.
- Check that you know who to call if disaster strikes – most brokers and insurers have a help line.
- Keep property maintenance up to date if you have been negligent the insurer may query the claim.
- Check that you have the correct sums insured for your building and contents, otherwise your claim payout could be reduced.
- Ensure that all pets and valuables from the garden are kept indoors.
To find your nearest BIBA broker visit the ‘Find A Broker‘ section or call BIBA’s Find a Broker Service on 0370 950 1790.