As a membership-based association dedicated to serving the insurance industry, the British Insurance Brokers Association (BIBA) understands the importance of and is committed to maintaining your privacy and keeping your information secure. The following information describes the practices BIBA maintains regarding any personal information that which we receive about you, for example through your use of our websites.
When we collect personal information
We collect personal information for a variety of reasons in connection with the running of our organisation, However three main occasions that we collect your data are when you:
- apply to be a member and throughout your membership;
- register (or someone registers you on your behalf) for one of our events; and
- register to receive recruitment and other alerts.
We also collect information on your use of our website. For more information please see the paragraphs below on Cookies, and Pixel tags for more information.
What information we collect
Your information that we might collect includes:
- job title;
- membership number;
- IP addresses;
- company name; and
- date of birth (if under 30).
How we use your information
Your information that we collect will be used:
- to administer your membership;
- where you are an active member:
- to list your details in the ‘Finder a Broker’ area of the website, which can be searched by area or specialist; and
- to provide details to calls to the ‘Find a Broker’ telephone service;
- to send you any guides, documentation, email alerts or other information relevant to your membership. In addition we or our partners may also send you other marketing emails throughout the year. You can unsubscribe from these communications at any time by clicking the link provided, however please note active BIBA members who are key contacts at their organisation or individual members will receive, at a minimum, conference and membership renewal emails. You can opt out of further emails relating to the current year’s conference by following the link appearing at the bottom of any conference email. This opt out applies to the current year’s conference only and in subsequent years you will receive emails regarding that subsequent year’s conference, to which a further opt out will be available for that year;
- where you have registered for a BIBA event:
- to send you the relevant information pack;
- to include your name on the delegate list, which is available to other delegates; and
- for any other necessary purpose related to the running of our event;
- personalise your experience on the BIBA website;
- track the use of the BIBA website; and
- tracking email readership.
In the unlikely event that we transfer your information outside the EEA we will ensure that an adequate level of protection is in place to protect your information.
Who we share your information with
We use third party companies to help us provide our services. These companies will only use your personal data under our strict instruction and are under an obligation to ensure appropriate security measures are in place.
We may also disclose your information to third parties where:
- the disclosure is required by law or by a regulator with authority over us or you, such as where there is a court order, statutory obligation or FCA request;
- we believe that such disclosure is necessary in order to assist in the prevention or detection of any criminal action (including fraud) or is otherwise in the overriding public interest;
- we have received a request from the press or Government bodies for a list of members covering a specific class of insurance in order to help customers obtain the correct insurance; and/or
- where you have expressed an interest in receiving marketing materials from them.
We will send you details of BIBA approved scheme providers and we may share your information with such providers so they can provide you with those details directly.
BIBA is committed to only sending you marketing communications that you have clearly expressed an interest in receiving. If you wish to unsubscribe from emails sent by BIBA, you may do so at any time by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link that appears in all emails. Otherwise, you can always Contact Us.
How we protect your personal information
BIBA is committed to keeping your information secure. BIBA keeps all information in a secure server. We also have appropriate security measures in place in our physical facilities.
While we strive to protect your information, due to the nature of the internet we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us. With this in mind, any transmission is at your own risk and we urge you to take every precaution to protect your information while you are online.
How long we keep your personal information
We may keep your information for longer if required by law.
Updating your personal information
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the information we hold about you is reliable and as accurate and complete as is necessary for its intended use. However, subject to any relevant exemptions, you are entitled to see the information we hold about you and to update any inaccuracies. We are entitled to charge a £10 fee for providing you with a copy of your personal information. You can review or update your personal information here. Alternatively you can Contact Us.
The cookies we make use of on the BIBA websites are:
|biba session||This is used to set the user when they log in and to track when they are using find a broker tool||Expires after 2 hours of not using session|
|XSRF-TOKEN||We use this token to stop cross site scripting, this is used on all pages when there is user interaction such as login, find a broker, S&P and other forms||Expires after 1 hour|
Third party cookies
|Third party||Cookie name||Purpose||Lifetime||More information (external links)|
|Google Analytics||_gat||Used to throttle request rate||10 minutes||As above|
|Google Analytics||__utmt||Used to throttle request rate.||10 minutes||As above|
|Google Analytics||__utmc||Not used in ga.js. Set for interoperability with urchin.js. Historically, this cookie operated in conjunction with the __utmb cookie to determine whether the user was in a new session/visit||End of browser session||As above|
|Google Analytics||__utmv||Used to store visitor-level custom variable data. This cookie is created when a developer uses the _setCustomVar method with a visitor level custom variable. This cookie was also used for the deprecated _setVar method. The cookie is updated every time data is sent to Google Analytics.||2 years from set/update||As above|
|BT||TS0194eee0||This is a session cookie which stores information such as previously entered form information and navigation menu choices to facilitate a visitors use of the website.||Expires at end of session||Stored temporarily, does not collect information from the user’s computer|
For further information please visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
Pixel tags (also called clear gifs or web bugs) are used to track who is reading a web page or e-mail, when, and from what computer.
They provide us with information about your interaction with our email messages (if you receive messages in html format) and to record some of the pages you consequently visit on our Website.
We use this information so we can provide you with information tailored to your needs and interests, better plan our future campaigns and upgrading visitor information used in reporting statistics.
Pixel tag technology is used to analyse the reading habits of our membership in order to review and improve services to members and on occasion may use this for marketing purposes. Questions about this technology should be directed to the BIBA communications department 0344 77 00 266.
How to Contact Us
You can contact us by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing to us at Membership Department, BIBA, 8th Floor, John Stow House, 18 Bevis Marks, London EC3A 7JB.