27th April 2020

Why do I still need motor insurance during the coronavirus lockdown?

Despite most people still going through lockdown, car or motorbike owners still need to keep their motor insurance going whether they are driving or not.

If your car or bike is DVLA registered and not declared SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) and moved onto private land (like your drive or garage), having insurance is a legal requirement. Importantly it also gives you financial protection if your vehicle is stolen or damaged. Even now, someone else may crash into your vehicle so for you it’s reassuring to know you could get paid by your insurer to get the vehicle repaired.

Under lock-down you can use your car or motorbike for essential journeys and unfortunately accidents do happen, and you need your insurance, just in case.

What if I’m not using my car and it’s parked on private land?

If you have your car or bike parked or garaged on private land you must keep it insured unless you do make a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN). By legally declaring your car to be off the road, you can claim back any full months of tax left remaining. You’ll also no longer be obliged to keep your insurance in force, and you may be able to get a partial refund of your premium.

Remember though, that you will not be covered for fire or theft to your vehicle and will not be able to claim to replace it.

To declare your car SORN you will need to contact the DVLA.

Please remember that if you do SORN your vehicle you won’t be able to use the car on the road until you tax it again, and of course you’ll need insurance at that point If you

Also, bear in mind you can only drive a SORNED vehicle on public road to take it to an MOT or other testing appointment – if you drive it on public roads other than this you could be prosecuted and fined.

What if I can’t afford my insurance at the moment?

If you are worried about paying for your insurance it’s best not just to stop. Not having motor insurance is breaking the law and you could face a fine. Contact your insurance broker or company and talk to them. They may be able to offer you a payment holiday or even a small refund on your premium.

If you are looking for car insurance call our Find Insurance line on 0370 950 1790 to speak to a broker about suitable cover for your circumstances.

Become a BIBA member

Membership that gives you more. We help support, protect, represent and promote brokers. Our experienced and dedicated team are here to help you!

Find out more