BIBA Holiday Travel Scheme
Holiday Travel +
Update 13 January 2021
Following the recent news of DTW1991 going into solvent run-off I am writing to advise of some changes to the administration of the BIBA Leisure Travel scheme, which will take effect on 13 January.
The scheme remains live and continues to be underwritten by DTW1991. BIBA members can continue to place new business and issue renewals through the scheme portal in the normal way.
In respect of the scheme, BIBA has agreed to the appointment by DTW1991 of Virtual Insurance Products Limited trading as Jackson Lee Underwriting (JLU) to take over the servicing of the Travel+ products.
We are pleased to confirm that Dipesh Patel, who has a long association with the BIBA account, has joined JLU as Senior Underwriter. Dipesh will remain your key contact, providing continuity of service and will assist in the transition of the scheme.
Dipesh’s new contact details are:
Dipesh Patel – Senior Underwriter
+44 78 8458 9192
There are no changes to the Travel+ products or your login details. All the benefits of Travel+ stay the same and you will still be able to log into the portal with your existing account and password.
If you need assistance with accessing the portal please contact Dipesh directly.
Please remember there is no cover under any section of the policy if an insured travels against Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office advice.
JLU will take on the servicing and administration of the Travel+ products. All enquiries relating to agency applications, new business, renewals, and mid-term adjustments should be directed to Dipesh at JLU.
Monthly statements will be issued as normal in January from Insurance Administration Services (IAS) and you should pay premiums due to IAS. From February all invoices and statements will be issued and handled by JLU.
Emergency Assistance and Claims handling
There will be no impact to policyholders from the transfer to JLU. Emergency Assistance services and support will continue to be provided by Mayday Assistance. Claims will continue to be handled by IAS and complaints should be notified to IAS as currently.
The contact details for Mayday Assistance and IAS can be found in the Travel+ wordings.
Updates to the Holiday Travel+ and Sports Travel+ policies July 2020
Policies sold from 28 July 2020 will include cover for COVID-19 under the Medical Expenses and Cancellation/Curtailment sections of the policy. Cover is available in the following circumstances:
- Medical Expenses: If an insured person needs emergency medical treatment whilst on a trip.
- Cancellation: Only if an insured person (named on the certificate) tests positive for COVID-19 in the two weeks prior to travel and has to cancel their holiday.
- Curtailment: Only if an insured person (named on the certificate) tests positive for COVID-19 whilst on a trip.
Please be aware of the following:
- If your client is travelling against FCO advice there will be no cover (https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice).
- There is no cover under the policy for losses insured or guaranteed by any other existing protection, specifically The Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangement Regulations, ATOL (including Civil Aviation Authority requirements), ABTA protection, or from your clients’ credit card provider under the Consumer Credit Act, or any other specific legislation for transport or travel providers.
- Cover for cancellation and curtailment is only for your clients’ proportion of prepaid transport, accommodation & additional travel expenses, and pre-paid excursions booked before they go on their trip, that they cannot recover from any other source.
We understand that you will want to know what cover your clients have in certain circumstances. We have therefore prepared a guide of frequently asked questions which is available from our team.
The Travel+ products provide package travel insurance cover, pre-travel advice and emergency assistance support to the leisure traveller and sporting enthusiast. Holiday Travel+ is for individuals, families and groups. Sports Travel+ is a specialist policy for the sporting traveller, amateur and professional individuals, groups and
teams. Policies are obtained via a simple to use online platform to quote, bind, renew and amend policies. Policies are underwritten by Syndicate DTW 1991 at Lloyd’s and policyholders benefit from the Lloyd’s unique ‘Chain of Security’.
– Holiday Travel+ cover up to 85 years for a single trip policy and 75 years for an annual multi-trip policy
– Sports Travel+ cover up to 65 years for a single-trip policy and for an annual multi-trip policy
– UK domiciled individuals, families and groups
Key policy features
– Simplified consumer friendly wording
– Coverage for pre-existing medical conditions including mental health conditions, subject to medical screening
– Cover for trip cancellation or coming home early for reasons beyond the insured’s control or due to a terrorist incident
– Cover for financial failure in the event a company the insured has booked with goes bust
– Cancellation cover arising from pre-travel sporting injury
– Cover for children travelling independently
– Reduced excesses for family trips
Key benefits to members
– Support from an expert team in designing your client’s cover
– Many high-risk activities covered as standard or on referral
– Ability to embed and white-label the online portal into your website
– No minimum volume
To find out more or to register your interest please email Dipesh Patel – Senior Underwriter at
Click here for Holiday Travel+ Policy Wording
Click here for Holiday Travel+ Insurance Product Information Document
Click here for Sports Travel+ Policy Wording
Click here for Sports Travel+ Insurance Product Information Document
Dipesh Patel – Senior Underwriter
+44 78 8458 9192