Home Office published draft Riot Compensation Bill
13th March 2015
The Home Office has published a draft Riot Compensation Bill, which will replace the Riot (Damages) Act. This follows the public consultation last summer on proposed reforms to the Act.
The draft Bill will modernise the way in which the public can claim compensation for loss caused by riots.
Key provisions in the draft Bill include:
• allowing higher value settlements by providing “new for old” replacements for destroyed or damaged goods;
• introducing a cap on the amount of money that can be paid out in any single claim, thereby reducing the burden on the tax payer;
• increasing the time limit in which people can make claims applications;
• allowing people to submit claims electronically, thereby speeding up and simplifying the process; and
• providing limited cover for motor vehicles for the first time.
The consultation response has been published here
Click here to read BIBA's press release