British Insurance Brokers' Association
Skip Navigation Links
Home Contents Insurance:

When it comes to household insurance, there are two kinds of policy.
  • Buildings insurance covers the structure of the home itself, as well as the fixtures and fittings
  • Contents insurance covers the contents you would take if you moved.
In addition to covering against risks like fire, subsidence, theft, flood and storm, both kinds of policy have a liability section - this provides for claims which you may become legally liable to pay in respect of damage to a person or property that are not a member of your household that you incur as owner of your home.

You don't have to insure your contents and home with the same company - the insurance market is extremely competitive, so it's always worth shopping around. However, using the same company may speed up any claims you make if you suffer damage to both your home and its contents, in addition to obtaining a small premium reduction.